There are many assistance programs available to help small businesses. For your convenience, we have recapped programs available within the Village, Region and State levels. Be sure to also check out the Small Business Resources and Workforce Resources downloadable files provided.
Listing of available office, warehouse, manufacturing, commercial space in the Village is available on our website or contact Mayor Michael Procuk at 216.749.4300 or firstname.lastname@example.org for customized assistance.
Site Plan Assistance
Businesses planning new construction, exterior renovations, or landscaping projects can contact our Village Planning Commission & Architectural Board of Review (216.749.4300) for assistance with site plan review and guidance through the approval process.
Cleveland Port Authority
For information on the following programs, contact Garth Woodson (216) 241-8004.
- FIXED-RATE FINANCING PROGRAM - Provides long-term, fixed interest rate financing of $1 million to $6 million primarily for owner occupied industrial and commercial projects. Funds may be used for land and building acquisition, new construction, renovations as well as the purchase and installation of select machinery & equipment.
- BALANCE SHEET FINANCING - Provides fixed rate, long-term financing of $3 million to over $100 million for expansion or relocation. The Port Authority finances, builds and owns the assets and leases them to the company. At the end of the original lease term, the company may exercise an option to extend the lease, buy the asset at the then-market rate, or vacate the premises.
Cuyahoga County offers numerous economic development programs to support business development, such as the program listed below. For information on available programs, contact the Cuyahoga County Department of Development at (216) 443-7260 or see their website
- EDA FUNDING - EDA was established under the Public Works and Economic Development Act of 1965, to generate jobs, help retain existing jobs, and stimulate industrial and commercial growth in economically distressed areas of the United States. EDA funding assistance is available to rural and urban areas experiencing high unemployment, low income, or other severe economic distress.
- ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT LOAN - Provides businesses financial assistance to retain and create jobs for County residents. The fund provides long term, fixed-rate financing at interest rates lower than conventional financing.
- ENTERPRISE TAX ZONE INCENTIVES - The Enterprise Zone Program provides real estate tax abatement to companies expanding or relocating to Ohio. Qualifying businesses can receive tax abatement for substantial investment in real property. The business must demonstrate job creation and retention within the zone to qualify for the local tax incentive.
- GROW CUYAHOGA COUNTY FUND - is designed to assist eligible small business owners within Cuyahoga County obtain loans to grow their businesses and create jobs. Low interest loans of between $100,000 and $1 million are available and may also be used for retail and restaurant development projects.
Carpooling and vanpooling arrangements can be made through RIDESHARE, a program of the Northeast Ohio Areawide Coordinating Agency. For information, call 1-800-825-RIDE. RTA Mobility Specialists are available to help employees who need transportation to connect with the right resources. Specialists serve each of the eleven County Neighborhood Family Service Centers based on residential location. To speak to a Mobility Specialist, please call 1-866-WTWTRIP
Team NEO is a regional economic development organization that offers business services including real estate and capital finance, incentives information, workforce data, expansion strategies, and business networking. For information, call (216) 363-5400 or check out our website.
Each quarter, Team NEO publishes a Cleveland Plus Quarterly Economic Review Each edition contains up to date information on employment, gross regional product, and real estate. Plus in each report we take a closer look at a key competitive asset that Cleveland Plus possesses.
State of Ohio
Ohio boasts an impressive menu of incentive offerings to attract and grow businesses. State and local tax incentives, grants and low-interest financing help businesses to reduce risk and operate profitably, see list of programs below or contact their website for details.
- JOB CREATION TAX CREATION - A refundable tax credit to companies generally creating at least 10 new jobs (within three years) with a minimum annual payroll of $660,000. The tax credit applied toward the company’s commercial activity tax liability.
- OHIO ENTERPRISE BOND FUND - Provides revenue bond financing through an S&P rated fund. Proceeds from the sale of bonds are loaned to companies for fixed-rate, long-term capital asset financing. Up to $10 million in financing is available through the program.
- 166 DIRECT LOAN - Provides loans for land and building acquisition, construction, expansion, or renovation and equipment purchases for eligible businesses. The program provides low-interest loans up to $1.5 million.
- INNOVATION OHIO LOAN FUND - Provides loans for acquisition, construction, and related capital costs of technology, facilities, and equipment purchases. The fund was created to assist existing Ohio companies in developing next-generation products and services within the state’s Targeted Industry Sectors up to 75% ranging from $500,000 to $1.5 million.
- REFUND AND DEVELOPMENT INVESTMENT LOAN FUND - Provides loan financing between $500,000 and $5 million for projects primarily engaging in research and development activity. Rates are fixed (at or below market rates) with other loan terms similar to those of commercial bank financing.
- ROADWORK DEVELOPMENT (629) - Funds are available for public roadway improvements, including engineering and design costs. Funds are available for projects primarily involving manufacturing, research and development, high technology, corporate headquarters, and distribution activity. Projects must typically create or retain jobs.
- OHIO WORKFORCE GUARANTEE - Supports companies that are making investments in facilities, equipment, and training that result in the retention and creation of jobs for Ohioans. The program provides direct financial support to employers for training, paying for a portion of instructor salaries, materials, travel, and special needs.
- OHIO THIRD FRONTIER - The single largest source of tech and new business start up funding in Ohio. It’s a 10-year, $1.6 billion source of money for innovation and regional support. Learn more.
View the Small Business Resources provided on this website.
Mayor Michael Procuk
Please direct Economic Development inquiries to Mayor Michael Procuk
345 Tuxedo Ave.
Brooklyn Heights, OH 44131
Office: (216) 749-4300
Mobile: (216) 408-5612
Fax: (216) 741-3753
Monday - Friday
8:00am - 4:30pm