*All Inspections require a 24-Hour notice.
Building Department Forms
Building & Housing Ordinances
Make the Right Decision When Hiring a Contractor
Hiring unlicensed contractors may provide a quick fix in the short term, but it can result in serious and lasting consequences. Keep these tips in mind when hiring a contractor:
• Ask to see a state-issued license & Brooklyn Heights Contractors Registration.
• Ask for references.
• Beware of contractors who claim to be the fastest or cheapest.
• Make all payments by check to the company contracted to do the work. Do not make checks out to “cash,” or to an individual’s name.
• Get proposals or contracts in writing.
• Do not make a final payment until all work is finished correctly and all permits are cleared via a final inspection and/or a Certificate of Completion from the building department.
Remember, the first step in adding value to your home is hiring the right contractor to complete the project. For additional information please contact the BUILDING DEPARTMENT
Housing Enhancement Loan Program (HELP)
(May Be Available For your Improvement Project)
The Home Enhancement Loan Program (HELP) provides homeowners of occupied or investment properties in eligible Cuyahoga County communities home improvement loans, at three percentage points below normal bank rates, for home repair or remodeling projects. HELP has no restrictions on a borrower’s income and few limitations on what improvements can be made to a property.
Eligibility and Requirements
Applicants must meet all of the following eligibility requirements:
1. Must be in an eligible community (all communities in Cuyahoga County except Bentleyville, Chagrin Falls Township, and Hunting Valley are eligible)
2. Single-family, two-family, and multi-family dwellings are eligible. Single and two-family dwellings must have a tax value of less than $250,000. There is no tax value limit on multi-family dwellings.
3. Eligible types of home repairs include alterations, repairs, maintenance, or improvements. Loans may also be used for code violation compliance and property upgrades.
4. Luxury projects and improvements are not eligible (i.e. tennis courts, swimming pools, horse stables, etc.)
Application and Contact Information
Applications are available at any bank branch of these participating banks: Key Bank and Huntington Bank. For additional information, please call 216-443-7260.
Chief Building Official
345 Tuxedo Avenue
Brooklyn Heights, OH 44131 firstname.lastname@example.org
Fax: (216) 741-3753
Monday - Friday
8:00am - 4:30pm